December Birthstone- Topaz
December’s birthstones are tanzanite, zircon and turquoise. The lucky individuals born in this month get to choose between three beautiful blue colors. These stones are all commonly found in jewelry. Make your special someone’s day with a birthstone gift in a hue that best represents their unique personality.
Tanzanite is named after the only place in the world it can be found, Tanzania. This blue or sometimes violet stone was only recently discovered (1967) and therefore has risen in popularity. It is easier to scratch than many other precious stones and must be handled with care.
What Does Tanzanite Represent?
Tanzanite is said to have calming and soothing properties. It is sometimes referred to a the “workaholic stone” because it’s supposed to help relax those who work too much. It also relieves depression and stress.
Zircon is a stone that naturally appears in almost every color, however it is most recognizable by its blue hue. This gem can be slightly radioactive, so it’s usually treated and stabilized. Zircon is mainly mined in Australia, which produces 37% of the world’s zircon mining.
What Does Zircon Represent?
Zircon is a grounding stone, used to balance the wearers dreams with reality. In addition, zircon is said to ward off negative energy and invite happiness into the wearer’s life.
Turquoise is a unique stone that can usually be identified by its spiderweb pattern. It dates back to the 13th century and was originally brought to Europe from Turkey. Today, the U.S. is the largest turquoise supplier and the stone is commonly found in Native American jewelry.
What Does Turquoise Represent?
Turquoise signifies wisdom, balance and truth. It is said to be the stone of protection, possessing the power to prevent injury. For this reason, many travelers carry turquoise amulets.
Sagittarius and Capricorn Traits
Astrological signs for December are Sagittarius (November 22-December 21) and Capricorn (December 22-January 19).
Sagittarius were made to travel the world. They are curious and energetic, able to turn their thoughts into actions. They have an open mind, enjoy freedom and aren’t constrained by details.
- A sagittarius woman is fun, outgoing, friendly and sometimes a little wild. She speaks her mind and values independence.
- A sagittarius man loves adventure and is excited by the endless possibilities life has to offer. He is a thinker, interested in philosophy, religion and the meaning of everything.
Capricorns are responsible, disciplined and have good self-control. They value family and tradition. Although they make for good managers, they are sometimes criticized for being condescending.
- A Capricorn woman is reliable, responsible and persistent. She is strong and therefore is a good person to lean on at any time. There is no task that she can’t accomplish.
- A Capricorn man is busy chasing realistic dreams. He is ambitious and reaches for the highest achievements. He values accomplishment and responsibility.
December has many important dates in history and is a month of many interesting celebrities, public figures and entertainers.
- The first official day of winter, called winter solstice, is in December. Winter solstice has the least number of daylight hours.
- In the Northern Hemisphere, the month of December has the fewest daylight hours.
- Some consider December 28th to be the unluckiest day of the year.
- A survey done in 2011 states that more dentists have birthdays in December than in any other month.
- The first artificial Christmas tree was made in Germany, created from goose feathers and dyed green.
Famous Birthdays in December
- Tyra Banks, television personality and model – December 4
- Walt Disney, entrepreneur and film producer – December 5
- Queen Mary, Queen of Scots, Queen of Scotland – December 8
- Frank Sinatra, singer and actor – December 12
- Taylor Swift, singer-songwriter – December 13
- Steven Spielberg, filmmaker – December 18
- Isaac Newton, physicist, mathematician, astronomer – December 25
- LeBron James, NBA star – December 30
NEW COLLECTION: 14K White Golf Lab Grown Diamonds
Why Lab Grown vs. NaturalThere are several reasons to choose lab-grown diamonds over mined diamonds. A popular factor for many couples the is price. You can often find the same quality in a lab-grown diamond as a mined diamond , but the lab-grown is more budget-friendly than its mined diamond counterpart. For many clients, this [...]
Ways to Give Back This Thanksgiving 2018
With Thanksgiving in a couple days, we wanted to inspire our readers with a few small gestures on how to give back this season. Tag us @oravojewelry to show us how you gave back.Lend a Hand to Little OnesChildren’s hospitals have many volunteer opportunities that range from rocking newborns in need of a cozy cuddle [...]
Fall Favorites: Amber Animal Collection
We all know that animals are cute and we just can't resist the urge to adore them. From owls, elephants, to giraffes and others, our animal themed collection is a our current favorite trend in jewelry. Check out the hottest trends of animal-themed jewelry that is transitional from fall to winter.It's the perfect addition to [...]
November Birthstone: Citrine
The birthstones for November are Citrine and topaz. Citrine, the primary birthstone is named after the citrus fruit due to its yellow-orange color. Topaz is also commonly yellow and easily confused for Citrine. Citrine and Topaz SymbolismWhat does Citrine represent? Citrine is said to reduce anger and create calmness in the mind. It is a self-healing stone, cleansing the body of any [...]
Oravo Halloween Jewelry Collection 2018
Halloween gets fabulous this year with Oravo's collection which includes some styling animal designs and glamorous fall gemstones And not just for October 31st, wear these awesome pieces anytime you want. Baltic Amber Sterling Silver Fox Pendant Necklace Cognac ColorIts sly look and curious eyes are highly detailed, and a handcut cabochon tail made of translucent [...]
October Birthstone: Opal
Many Colors of OpalThe opal naturally occurs in a variety of colors, including BlackWhiteGrayRedYellowBlueGreenBrownThe black opal is the rarest color, and therefore the most valuable. While white opals are more common, high-quality white opals can also be quite valuable and are more popular than any other color in many parts of the world.Opal SymbolismOpals are also [...]
September Birthstone: Pink and Blue Sapphire
September's Birthstone is Sapphire. Our Sapphires come in many color variations , but they are mostly known to be light blue hue. A brilliant blue Sapphire is the perfect birthstone gift for your loved ones this month especially if they were born in September. The unique color will be eye-catching to the person wearing it.Sapphire [...]
Ways to Celebrate Women’s Equality Day
It's Women's Equality Day! Many American women were granted the right to vote 96 years ago, thanks to the 19th Amendment. This day is a celebration for how far we've come, but also how far we still need to overcome. In 1971, Congress declared August 26 Women's Equality Day and 45 years later, we are [...]
August Birthstone: Peridot
Peridot SymbolismThe peridot’s stunning lime green glow is very recognizable. Some believe its name comes from the Greek word “peridona” which means “giving plenty.” The mineral itself is lime green, which is different from most gems that get their color from the trace impurities. Peridots protect against nightmares and can bring peace.What does peridot represent? [...]